Call No. RISA-01-2022, Research and Innovation Systems for Africa (RISA)
|Issuance Date||July 08, 2022|
|Bidders Conference / Information Session with Potential Applicants||July 14, 2022, Virtual; 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. EAT|
|Deadline for Submission of Questions on Application Process||July 20, 2022, 5:00 p.m. EAT|
|Deadline for Submission of Concept Notes||July 31, 2022, 5:00 p.m. EAT|
|Submit Concept Notes to||RISAFundapplications@chemonics.com|
RISA, a multi-country Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO)-funded programme, invites applications from eligible organizations in RISA priority countries for projects that support Research and Innovation systems strengthening in Africa, described in the attached call for applications. RISA anticipates awarding a milestone-based or cost reimbursable awards.
This procurement will be conducted under open competition, in accordance with UK Government Grant Standards and the procedures in the RISA Funds Management Manual. Successful applicants must be operational and legally registered in: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria and South Africa. Applicants must have the experience, presence and organizational mandate to operate in the country and contribute to the regional goals and objectives of the FCDO SRIA and ATIP programmes.
Individual applications for this round should not exceed £300,000, with a maximum project length of 15 months. The expected project budget should range from a recommended minimum of £100,000 to no higher than £300,000.
Please download the application pack on the left-hand side for additional concept note guidance and templates. All concept notes must be submitted by the above final closing date no later than 5:00 p.m. East Africa Time (EAT). If the application is received after the closing date and time, or if it is incomplete, it will not be accepted nor considered unless authorised by the RISA Team Lead and/or the RISA Fund Management Lead.
All application packages are to be submitted via e-mail to: RISAFundapplications@chemonics.com. Please quote the call number on the subject line of your e-mail application. Applications must respond to the specific format, instructions and deadlines provided in the call announcement to be considered valid.
Any questions regarding this solicitation should be submitted in writing to RISAFundapplications@chemonics.com no later than 12:00 hrs, Noon EAT – Nairobi Kenya, July 20, 2022.
A Bidders Conference for interested applicants will be hosted virtually via a webinar on July 14, 2022, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. EAT – Nairobi Kenya. Participation is limited to two individuals per organisation. To register for the webinar, go to RISA Bidders Conference registration link (office.com).
Who can apply?
Organisations eligible for RISA Funding must be registered with relevant authorities and have been operating for at least three years. These include:
- International and national universities
- Research institutions
- Think tanks
- International and national NGOs or CSOs
- Private sector organisations
*Government departments, ministries and agencies are not eligible for direct funding; these entities can only receive Technical Assistance from an implementer selected by the Fund Manager.
Prospective partners must be organisations with a reputation for integrity and the highest standard of conduct, with a proven track record in their area of expertise. They should demonstrate a respect for human rights, gender sensitivity, inclusion of people with disabilities, fair labour practices and environmental consciousness. All partners must meet standard FCDO procurement policies for financial management and audits.
- South Africa
What we’re looking for
The following considerations will cut across the eligibility criteria design when designing the fund solicitation approaches in the RISA focus countries (Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia and Rwanda):
- Alignment to SRIA, ATIP or synergies and traction objectives.
- Partnerships – Project demonstrates the ecosystem approach to addressing the research and innovation barriers including detailed mapping of relevant stakeholders, partners, institutions etc. that will engage during implementation.
- Additionality of the RISA investment and clarity of attribution to the RISA fund where a project is being funded by multiple donors.
- Value for Money considerations i.e., projects that can demonstrate maximum impact (Number of target beneficiaries reached and the positive change observed) from the RISA funding.
- Sustainability – Project demonstrates ability to ensure that gains realised through RISA funding are sustainable in the long term through building and strengthening local capacity and leveraging co-funding from local sources e.g., private sector, local authorities etc.
- GESI – Project Demonstrates efforts to mainstream gender and social inclusion across the life cycle of the project and seeks to strengthen gender equality and the social inclusion of specific marginalised groups.
How to apply
Please download the application pack for all guidance documents and templates.
All application packages are to be submitted via e-mail to: RISAFundapplications@chemonics.com Please quote the call number on the subject line of your e-mail application.
Applications must respond to the specific format, instructions and deadlines provided in the call announcement to be considered valid.
All concept notes and questions regarding this solicitation be sent to RISAFundapplications@chemonics.com.